Search This Blog

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Leading By Example with Meal Planning

Week 3 in the Series

I haven't shared with you my weekly meal plan in a while and this is a great week to let you peak into my kitchen.

Thursdays I get a New Roots Organic produce delivery. I base my menu off of what I get and what random foods I may have left in the fridge. The cookbooks I used this week were Mollie Katzen's Vegetables Dishes I Can't Live Without (Veg Dish), Feeding the Whole Family (FWF) by Cynthia Lair, Moosewood Cookbook (MW) by Mollie Katzen (can you tell I'm a big fan of hers :-), and a few made up on the spot.

Saturday I spent 2.5 hours preparing all of the lunch/dinner recipes below. My wonderful husband kept things running smoothly by cleaning up along the way. In our house we have this rule: "Whom ever cooks is absolved of cleaning". So on these marathon cooking days he chips in so the mess isn't overwhelming at the end of it all. Bless that man for what he puts up with! 

Weekly Menu
Breakfast:
1. Deviled Eggs, Sliced Tomatoes, Whole Wheat Baguette
2. Steel Cut Oats, Frozen Strawberries, Walnuts, Brown Sugar (made with Rice Milk)
3. Protein Smoothies with Frozen Strawberries and Fresh Bananas

Lunch/Dinners:
1. Veg Dish p 96 Ruby Chard, Pressure Cooked Black-Eyed Peas, Grilled Halibut on the BBQ
2. FWF p 144 Millet Croquettes with Leftover Lentil Soup (also from MW p 25)

3. MW p 101 Vegetable-Walnut Pate stuffed in Mini Sweet Peppers, Grilled Chicken, and Brown Rice
4. (Own) Sauteed Cabbage Raab (1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 cup diced onion, 2 tsp olive oil, 1 tbsp minced garlic), Fresh Caught Boiled Shrimp (Today was open boating season and friends caught their limit in fresh shrimp today, THANKS for sharing them!), with Baked Spaghetti Squash
5. Leftover Combos: Blacked-eyed Peas on Brown Rice with a side of Ruby Chard, Remaining Vegetable-Walnut Pate on Warm Pita with a low fat string cheese (Yummy Snack!), Put remaining Cabbage Raab in Tomato Sauce, add any leftover shrimp or chicken and serve over Spaghetti Squash, Breakfast for Dinner option: Over-easy egg served on top of warmed Millet Croquette and a few slices of fresh fruit.


Good luck putting your plans together this week. Leave comments with questions and your personal stories. We love hearing from you!

This is my new pressure cooker! If you have any tips I'd love to hear them.

3 comments:

  1. Great articles Brandi! You are so good at breaking this all down into simple "bite-sized" pieces of info...pun intended!! Thanks for sharing the great tips and wonderful resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandi!
    I love my pressure cooker - everything cooks in half the time or less - and without fat! It's a very German thing and we always had one at my house growing up when my dad came home for lunch and my mom had to produce a meal at 12 noon. Great for stews - even with a less than premium cut of meat :-) Watch out for of the pressure valve - it gets clogged up easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to make meatballs in mine and freeze them for quick & easy preschooler lunches (or "oh, crap" dinner nights). You just can't beat a chicken cacciatore in 8 minutes.

    Check out Miss Vickie's cookbook.
    Try Miss Vickie's pressure cooker recipe book.
    http://www.amazon.com/Miss-Vickies-Pressure-Cooker-Recipes/dp/0764597264/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279145223&sr=8-2

    ReplyDelete